Posted by: Ingrid | January 11, 2011

A Day in the Life: Winter Edition

Today I’m linking with Navigating the Mothership as she does her quarterly Day in the Life post.  The idea is to go through your normal day and record the events so that someday, when you have four children, you can remember how easy it was to only have one 17 month old.  It also helps you see, if you’re someone who wonders at night what on earth you did all day, how you spend your time.  Yes, it is long and tedious to read, I suppose.  But it was fun to do!

Monday, January 10, 2011

1:55 AM:  Isaac wakes up.  Really?  Is he serious?  I let him yell for a few minutes and yes, he is serious.  Nurse baby.  Crawl back in bed at 2:20.

5:25 AM:  Alarm goes off and I hit snooze thrice.  I love hitting snooze because I feel like I’m getting so much more sleep.  I love feeling warm and cozy and getting to fall asleep.  I get to do that three times in 15 minutes.  How awesome is that?

5:41 AM:  Finally get out of bed and go through the morning ritual of turning on the two small heaters which we use to heat the house, checking my email, and waiting for husband to make coffee.  I look through my day planner, check Facebook, mistakenly check the weather and see that it’s 9 degrees outside and finally get my half cup of pre-run coffee.

6:10 AM:  They say to never wake a sleeping baby, but since I want Isaac to sleep for husband, I wake him up and nurse him before I finish getting ready for my run.  If I do this before 7:00 he will go back to sleep until 8 or 9.  If it’s after 7… well, I don’t press my luck.

6:31 AM:  Finally get out the door to head to the gym.  Even though it will be warm inside I still have to go outside first, which almost makes me lose motivation.

Too.  Much.  Work.  I start the car, thankful that I don’t have to scrape off the ice.  I should let it warm up, but I would much rather be moving slowly towards my destination at 10 mph than sit still in the car where it’s SO COLD.  Why is it so cold!!!?!?

6:35-7:48 AM:  Arrive at gym and shed layers.  Then I get all crazy and do new things.  More new things than I prefer to do in a day, actually, so with Chemistry beginning tonight I am totally living on the edge (and totally sarcastic).  New thing 1:  I run the indoor track for my 1.5 mile warmup (14 minutes).  It is nice and warm but it takes 10 laps to equal a mile.  I decide that I probably could never do more than 5 miles there.  And how to you keep track of all those laps?  New thing 2: I hop on the treadmill for day 1 of my marathon training program.  My first speed work since the half marathon 3 months ago and I can tell.  Fortunately it is short; three mile intervals at a 6:35-6:40 pace with a minute jog in between followed by a 10 minute cool down.  By the end I sort of feel like I want to die, but remind myself that it’s not like it’s supposed to be comfortable or anything.

New thing 3: Step off the treadmill and finally do some modified pull-ups and my first NRoLFW workout.  I only do this because the gym is completely empty and I can figure out where things are and not be embarrassed.  Having done that, I will be fine now when people are actually present.  I hate looking stupid the first time I do something.

7:50 AM:  Stop to take a photo of the early winter morning.  Realize that I should have started the car first so it could warm up a little while I was taking pictures.

7:55-8:07 AM:  Get home, try to be quiet, write in my journal and realize that Isaac is 17 months old today.

8:07 AM:  Hear Isaac making noise which turns into crying when I go get my camera.

After a moment of snuggling he decides he wants to play a game of dinosaur bowling, which he got from his great-grandparents.

To ensure accuracy, he prefers to hold the ball and physically hit the pins.  Husband and I switch, I shower and get dressed and he changes Isaac’s diaper.

8:35 AM:  Time for more coffee and breakfast!  I open my crock pot to discover that the yogurt (or yilk, as I prefer to call it) did not turn out this time.

Bummer.  Isaac eats approximately half a strawberry and a quarter of a nutri-grain bar before throwing his food on the floor.  Awesome.  Welcome to the story of feeding my child.

9:00-10:00 AM:  Isaac uses primitive baby sign (i.e. pounding on my chest and saying, “BA?”) to indicate that he wants to nurse.  On with the clothes, grab my purse, spend a half hour futilely searching for my JCC textbook paperwork, grab the mail, and head to the bookstore.

10:00-11:05 AM:  Arrive at the bookstore, discover the aisles are not meant for stroller navigation, and thankfully pass my class list off to a worker who has me back in my car within 7 minutes.  And for just under $500!

I forget how to fold down the stroller and spend a minute or so eyeing it in the parking lot, but eventually we are back on the road.  I take care of a couple of calls (talking on your cell phone is legal here, texting is not) and try to make sure that Isaac doesn’t fall asleep.

11:05 AM:  Snack time.  I estimate that I have maybe managed to get 150 calories of actual food into my son.  It’s a good day!

Isaac explores the piano pedals and fridge magnets.  I send off a few quick emails and consider dropping one of my classes even though it doesn’t start until Friday.

11:45-12:07:  Nap time attempt #1.  FAIL!  After nursing a while Isaac decides he wants to talk about Dadeeeee.  Then he wants to practice sticking out his tongue.  And yes, we still swaddle him, otherwise he flails around and tries to repeatedly beep my nose.

12:07-12:24 PM:  Finish my snack and write a thank you card while listening to Isaac babble and bark in his crib.

12:24-12:36 PM:  Walk in to find Isaac hanging out in the corner of his crib.  He greets me: Hi.  Hi-iiieee.  Hiiiiiiieeeeeeee!  I almost get to finish Anne Lamotte’s Hard Laughter but Isaac is out.  This is one of the reasons I would hate to not be nursing, even at 17 months and even if it means getting up at night: the reading time.  I LOVE the reading time.

12:36-2:17 PM:  Get online to check out my online Pharmacology class.  Get intimidated.  Consider dropping Psychology again.  Procrastinate online.  Get on my computer to type out the earlier events of the day.  I am hard core procrastinating now.

I would start cleaning the bathroom or something only it would probably wake Isaac up.  Get a package ready to send out.  Get things ready to go to class.  Procrastinate some more and realize that I feel very stressed.

2:17 PM:  Baby crying!  NOOOOOOO.  I miss two naps a day.

2:17-4:18 PM:  Isaac gets into my chewing gum and also discovers the fun game of crunching his graham crackers with his feet.  We read some books and slowly move towards getting out the door so that I can get some stamps and print things at the university library.  Finally we are bundled up and, as usual, off like a herd of turtles.  22 degrees!  Great day for a walk!

4:20 PM:  I start dinner and Isaac vacillates between playing with toys and clinging to my leg and crying.

4:50 PM:  Take some time to read.  Isaac is particularly fond of his French book.

5:03 PM:  Try to nurse Isaac, get dressed for class, and pull dinner out.

Not at the same time!  Pass care of Isaac off to his dad.

5:22 PM:  Drive (again) to JCC, this time for my first chemistry class.

5:45 PM:  Arrive in the parking lot.  Decide not to be dumb and take pictures of myself like it’s my first day of school.  Proceed to forget to take pictures for the rest of the day.

5:52 PM:  Realize I wrote down the room for the lab and not the lecture.  Run frantically downstairs and find someone who tells me where I should be going.  I tell you, I am losing brain cells at an astounding rate.

5:56 PM:  Slide into my seat feeling very late indeed even though I am four minutes early.

6:00-7:30 PM:  Decide that my new teacher could stare as either Orwen, Orgoch, or Ordu in Lloyd Alexander’s The Book of Three.  She is able to deliver harsh policies with a beautific smile on her face.  She is also that woman who only wears concealer with no other makeup.  Interesting.  Best comment of the class:  Read the textbook?  I don’t recommend it, but you can if you want to.  And she was serious.

7:30-8:45 PM:  Lab safety procedures.  I start feeling very tired and am relieved that we don’t end up staying until 9:30.

8:50-9:17 PM:  Drive home slowly in the dark, constantly afraid that I will slip off the road again.

9:30 PM:  Swaddle Isaac, nurse him, and put him to bed.

10:07-11:25 PM:  Help husband grade and data enter grades for the class he’s teaching.

11:33 PM:  Skip brushing my teeth and taking off my minimal makeup.  Crawl into bed with the heated rice pillow my friend made me years ago and pass out immediately.  See you at 2:20 AM, Isaac!



  1. Great idea/post! I am going to have to try this one day. I still feel like I am trying to figure out how to manage a 16 month old so I will be fun to look back and see how simple things really were with just one!

    Good luck with your marathon training!

    • Thanks, Stephanie. I am holding the marathon loosely right now just in case my knee acts up. It was really fun trying to keep tabs on the day and see what we actually did. I’d recommend it!

  2. Um…I have six kids…and I honestly don’t think I’d ever like to look back and remember how “easy” it was to have just one:-) I will tell you to take all your classes now!

    • Jill, you are ruining my fantasies. I would like to think that you line all six kids up at the bus stop, kiss them goodbye, and then spend the next eight hours sipping coffee, reading books, and generally having a good time. Can I please continue thinking that a little while longer? 😉

  3. As mom of three it’s always fun to see how I’m not the only one who goes through a day and wonders where it went when it’s over. And it seems like it was easier with just one, but I think it’s just adjusting to what you have. Right now I’m adjusting to starting a business with an 8 week old, a 20 month old (who decided to start potty training today) and a 4 year old, and my husband working 3 jobs. Haha, and yet we thrive!

    • Amy, that’s awesome! Glad you guys are doing so well. That must be lots of fun with and 8 and 20 month old, especially when you throw in potty training! 🙂

  4. Hey! That’s the story of feeding my child, too!

    • Aw, Sarah… I’m sorry that’s still the case for you. I keep thinking that this has to get better sometime. I’m still waiting though!

  5. I don’t have kids yet, but thanks for this! Such an interesting peek “into the life of”. 🙂

  6. Wow, what a packed day! Now, tell me more about this yogurt in the crock pot thing. I’ve been thinking about doing that, but now you have me wondering if there is only a 50% success rate or something. What’s the dealio, yo?

    • Well, I suppose a sample study of 2 isn’t really sufficient. I also used two sets of instructions which might have been the problem the second time around. The nice thing is that it’s only a loss of about a dollar when you account for the half-gallon of milk. I still need to play around with the recipe but haven’t found the time. If you happen to get to it before me (since you have tons of time, what with being pregnant and chasing after a toddler all day :-P) let me know how it turns out for you.

  7. […] did this last January but then didn’t do it again because I spent the rest of the year pregnant, following a […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: