I would resolve to make fewer resolutions this year, but that would take up a resolution, so I won’t. My desire to pare things down is colliding with my desire to list all the things. The list maker in me won and I had to have 17 resolutions. I love my lists!
- Date my husband once a month. We have been perfecting the art of the hour long Fiesta’s date. Even with 4 margaritas and a dinner the babysitting bill for 4 kids for one hour will probably be higher than the food.
- Complete, enjoy, and do well in the second semester of nursing school.
- Complete, enjoy, and
do wellsurvive the third semester of nursing school.
- Complete one big house project.
- Finish the back porch furniture and make the porch look pretty.
- Be intentional with the time I spend with my kids, particularly during the semester. This means not multitasking when doing things with them, trying to be present in the moment, and doing scheduled things.
- Finish teaching Jonathan to read before he begins kindergarten.
- Take Isaac running with me sometimes.
- Potty train the princess.
- Attend parenting classes again. I am a little afraid that these might be addictive. I can’t wait to go back!
- I have a trinity of athletic events that I would love to do this summer: a marathon in June that I am already signed up for, an ultramarathon in July (not a big one, just a 50 km), and hiking a 14er (or a pair of 14ers) in August. My realistic goal, given the fact that I am in school for 16 weeks and that I want to remain married to my long suffering husband, is to do 2/3 of the list, probably the marathon and the 14er.
- Read 30 new books.
- Hire a personal trainer at some point to work on strength training (sub goals: do a pull up and climb a rope.)
- Travel to 4 new places in Colorado.
- Consistently read some type of devotional throughout the year.
- Make time to write and journal even during the busy times.
- My focus this year, comes from Sara Groves’ song Add to the Beauty. It’s a song I’ve loved for a long time, and if I could unravel in words what I wish my life could look like because of these thoughts or what I wish I could do differently to make these concepts come alive in my life, I would. I do want to pay attention to the moments that I have with people and do what I can to make life more meaningful and lovely for myself and the people around me.
We come with beautiful secrets
We come with purposes written on our hearts, written on our souls
We come to every new morning
With possibilities only we can hold, that only we can hold
Redemption comes in strange place, small spaces
Calling out the best of who we are
And I want to add to the beauty
To tell a better story
I want to shine with the light
That’s burning up inside
Bonus resolution: Finish watching the extra Gilmore Girls episodes and all of Call the Midwife.
Second bonus resolution: Find additional hours in the day so I can complete all of these resolutions!